Monday, April 12, 2010

I Can't Figure Out iTunes

I got advice from my husband on how to get the Couch to 5K program on my ipod. Apparently it has music or something that tells you when to walk and when to run. That sounds better than trying to find a clock with a second hand and carry it around with me to time my 60 and 90 second intervals. What my husband told me to do made sense. I should have done it sitting right next to him but I waited until a time when he wasn't even home. I found the podcast I was looking for but I couldn't figure out how to actually download it. This may make me sound like a technology dummy. Truthfully, I am. I didn't used to me. I used to be very on top of it but then I married an IT man and haven't really touched a computer since. Not really but he does take care of everything computery that doesn't include surfing the internet for me. So until I can remember to have him show me how to use itunes, I'll just have to put up another fake running story.

I posted that I was hoping to take the kids to the neighbors to see the new chicks while at my parents over the weekend and take a long hot bath in their jetted tub following a nice gentle run on their country road. Well, plans (or dreams) in this case don't always pan out. We did go see the chicks. My dad and I strolled down that calm country road with my two kids. I got to carry the two year old because going for a walk to him means "make Mom's arms so tired they want to fall off while you enjoy the scenery". We saw the chicks - which aren't babies anymore. They are starting to get to the awkward gangly stage. My husband had driven with my mom down so when it was time to go back, I started to load my walk-weight son in the car. I wasn't about to lug him up that hill. I used to walk that thing everyday after getting off the school bus. I'd already had a long day at school and then I'd have to trudge up that steep hill that seemed to grow one step everyday as the year went on. At one time, I had this really thick coat with a hood that had fur bursting out of it. When I had to catch the bus, it was cold enough that a coat was neccessary. When it was time to make the trek home at the end of the day, it was not - and all the hiking was making me sweaty. The coat was getting too heavy to carry as I walked. Maybe I should have carried it to prepare myself for my two year old "our" walks but I didn't know so I didn't carry it. I hung it off the back of my head by that mangy furred hood. It was so hot, I was so miserable and that hill seemed to climb faster than I could. I wondered if I'd ever get home before the my coat's heat swallowed me and roasted me to a sweaty mess. Trudge, trudge, trudge. I'd lift my head and lift the massive hood up a little to see if I was any closer than the last time. Most of the time I was. Most days by the time I would make to the next door neighbor's driveway, I'd try to be grateful all I was doing was slothing my way up the hill. When I was in kindergarten, the bus would drop me off a block closer but I was by myself and when I'd get to the neighbor's driveway, their dog, Tausha, would chase me. I knew as soon as I got to the dividing property line I could stop running but until then, that dog would be on my tail. I'd think about that try to be glad I didn't have that problem still. Oh, how naive I was. I had no idea one day I'd be running from a car up that same section of road. So, back to three days ago present day, I was loading the weight in the car and noticed that my dad and daughter were starting the walk already - but she was saying she wanted to run. My ears perked up "run?! I'm a runner now!" I HAD run all the way across the parking lot earlier that day, after all. I was trying to get the buckles done on the car seat but I was getting nervous and fumbling with the straps, they were already running and leaving me behind. I left the whole job for my husband and took off. I caught up with them halfway up the road. They were just slowing down from their run but when my daughter saw me, her running fire was rekindled so they started up again. We ran and ran. Things were feeling okay. I was a little winded but I was watching my daughter run next her grandpa and thinking how great this was. - We are such a running family. - Then my legs started to remind me that I wasn't really a runner (yet). We weren't even quite to the next door neighbor's driveway yet. I gave myself the extra motivation that the car would be coming behind us soon. Wouldn't that be great if we could "walk" back faster than they could drive? Ha ha. That would really be funny so I put a little turbo in my step and looked at my dad. He looked as determined as I felt. I looked at my daughter. She was just having a wonderful time. She probably doesn't know running is supposed to be hard. Just as quickly as it came on, my turbo left and my legs were suddenly lead filled. Burning lead filled. I had to keep going though. I was only racing a four year old, an old man and a car. I had been a cross-country runner for goodness sake. I could do this! "I could do this all day." I thought as we crossed the threshold to my parent's property. My dad said something to the effect of "that's enough." and stopped. Hallelujah! My burning legs and lungs rejoiced and I just about had to crawl, wheezing, the last hundred feet to the driveway. Ha ha. We are so fast. We beat the car. Man, running is rewarding.

I was too tired to take a hot bath.

3 comments:

  1. More than a giggle this time. Big laughs. (Then big coughs) Big tears down my cheeks from laughing so much.

    (Your dad laughs too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the tub is all of the way downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. This makes me feel better about how I started walking after Gen was born. Vaughn would drive me to the town hall, help me out of the car, and we would slowly walk up and down the sidewalk twice. Then he would help me back into the car and drive me to your parents.

    ReplyDelete