Friday, April 23, 2010

Heavy Legs

Week One - Day Three
This run was a bit harder than the previous two. It felt like I strapped on some saddle bags before my workout. I went back to the same track I went to for day two and found a team of thirteen year old boys practicing baseball at the far backstop and, as luck would have it, as I got out of the truck, another team of fifteen year old boys moved into the closer backstop. The father/daughter duo had somewhat broken me in so I felt brave and started walking. I had to laugh a little that when I made it around the track to the fifteen year old, they had lined up to play catch. They way they were lined up made me feel like I was headed for a game of "execution by baseball". I had five pairs of boys throwing five balls toward me as I ran by. I was brave and not a single one got by those boys -- interestingly though, every time I ran by after that, there was at least one that went right in my path just in front of me. I'm still not sure what to do with that information.

At one point I saw a man with two yappy dogs and a yappy puppy headed onto the track - with no leashes. I'm not extreemly intimidated by this particular type of dog so I kept on being brave. I did, however, wonder why people go opposite the way the people on the track are going. You wouldn't get in each other's way as much if you went with the flow of traffic. This particular gentleman and his yappy dogs three did the opposite direction thing. I groaned as he and his trio headed my way. When he got close he did the classic dog owner thing. He said "Don't worry. They won't bother you." This was immediately followed by "Abby, get over here! Leave her alone." Abby was sniffing around my ankles. It was then time to start one of the sixty second running intervals. I knew it wouldn't be a good thing for anyone if I started running at that precise second so I waited until they were a little further away. (This would not have happened at all if he had been going the same direction I was.) After the interval, I got to look forward to meeting those dogs again. When that did indeed happen, I got to politely nod to the man for the second time as he yelled at Abby to stop jumping around me. Luckily, the third time didn't happen.

I left glad that I'd run and wondering what is in store for week two. I was also glad to be leaving because as I walked back to the truck, I saw a man trying not to get dragged by his rottweiler followed by his wife and her happy chihuahua. They were going to the track.

2 comments:

  1. In his mind the dogs did not bother you because there was no biting and the resulting bleeding. Sniffing and jumping upon someone is not considered "bothering".

    It is good that he was going the other way. If he was going your way, you would eventually both end up running together for a while. (until you sprinted ahead as fast as your saddlebags would allow! -- and as far as you were able)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when people say that they won't bother you. Turns out they already are bothering me.

    I also don't find it any less annoying when the owner tells me the dog has never bitten anyone before. That didn't stop most of the dogs that bit me.

    ReplyDelete